Indefinite article is the exact opposite of definite article. Definite article points out a particular person or thing, whereas indefinite article does not refer to any particular person or thing of a group. Rather indefinite article is used to refer nonspecific noun that can be anything or anyone out of a group.
In English grammar ‘a’ and ‘an’ are known as indefinite article. Indefinite article can only be used before singular countable nouns.
- He ate an apple.
- You should consult with a doctor.
- Are some suffering from a chronic illness?
- I took a short nap after working for hours.
- I will reach home in an hour.
- We were having an interesting discussion.
- This is a serious matter.
- A tiger can run 40 miles per hour.
- She is a citizen of India.
- I want to pursue my M.A from a good university.