Definite article defines specific noun. This kind of article is used when a speaker refers to a particular person of a group or a specific thing. The noun which the articles refers to can be countable or uncountable, singular or plural. To put it simply, a definite article is used when a speaker or the listener knows the noun that is being mentioned.
‘The’ is known as definite article in English grammar.
I am going to the hospital.
Here the speaker is talking about a specific hospital. Therefore ‘the’ is used before ‘hospital’.
Observe other examples given below to understand definite article more clearly-
- The man is waiting for the bus.
- Mother is watering the flowers in our garden.
- Have you given him the letter?
- The sun rises from the east.
- Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal.
- This is not the time to worry.
- The bird laid two eggs.
- She is the smartest student in our school.
- The baby panda is really adorable.