Table of Contents
One of the most important and basic topics of English grammar is the use of articles. In grammar articles are concerned with nouns. So articles are essential to build comprehensive and clear sentences.
Learning the use of articles can be little confusing. It can be difficult to know what type of article should be used before a noun or if a noun needs an article at all. For that you have to learn the definitions and rules regarding articles attentively.
So, let’s start with the definition of article –
Articles are set of words (a, an, the) that identify noun. Articles indicate if a noun is a person, place, or a thing or idea. Articles also modify if a noun is countable or uncountable noun.
So, basically articles refer to noun and are used before noun.
Types of Articles
There are two types of articles –
- Indefinite article (a, an).
- Definite article (the).
Examples of sentences using articles –
- I am reading a book.
- She is an honest woman.
- He is watering the plants.
- The movie is really interesting.
- The police have arrested the thief.
- I am a girl.
- I will arrive there in an hour.
- He is writing an article.
- Gandhi was an advocate of peace.
- The Taj Mahal is a famous monument of India.