Here are 10 examples of Direct and Indirect Speech in English.
- Direct: He says, “Jack kills a giant.”
Indirect: He says that Jack kills a giant.
- Direct: He said, “I am a hockey player.”
Indirect: He said that he was a hockey player.
- Direct: He said to me, “What is your name?”
Indirect: He asked me what my name was.
- Direct: I said to my friend, “Work regularly.”
Indirect: I advised my friend to work regularly.
- Direct: He said, “Hurrah! My brother has come.”
Indirect: He exclaimed with joy that his brother had come.
- Direct: Shoaib said, “Let us go on long drive.”
Indirect: Shoaib suggested that they should go on long drive.
- Direct: He said, “By God! I am innocent.”
Indirect: He swore that he was innocent.”
- Direct: She said, “Let me have some coffee.”
Indirect: She wished that she might have some coffee.
- Direct: I shouted, “Let me do my work.”
Indirect: I shouted to them to let me do my work.
- Direct: “Call the second witness.” said the Judge.
Indirect: The judge ordered them to call the second witness.