A summary is a written account of a text, film, or another type of source material. The purpose of a summary is to give readers a condensed version of the material. The summary is written by summarizing the source material.
- Define Problem: The problem is the main question or issue that your readers are trying to answer.
- Define Purpose of Summary: To help your readers understand what you are going to say.
- Identify Background Information: It is the knowledge that is needed to understand the question or issue.
- Identify Question or Issue: What is the question or issue that you want to answer?
- Select Evidence: Select the evidence that supports or answers the question or issue.
- Organize Evidence: Organize the evidence in a logical flow, starting with the most relevant first.
- Summarize Evidence: Summarize the evidence, including the strengths and weaknesses.
- Write Conclusion: Write a conclusion that will bring the reader back to the question or issue at hand.