- Mahatma Gandhi was born on 2 October 1869 in Porbandar in Gujarat.
- His mother’s name was Putlibai and father’s Karamchand Gandhi
- His full name is Mohan Das Karamchand Gandhi, people called him Bapu.
- Gandhi is a symbol of peace and non-violence.
- Gandhi studied law from England.
- After returning from England, he went to South Africa and fought for the Rights of Indian people living there from 1892 – 1925
- He returned to India in 1915 and Joined Indian freedom struggle under the guidance of Gopal Krishna Gokhale, his political guru.
- Under the leadership of Gandhi congress launched Non- cooperation movement, civil disobedience movement etc.
- Gandhi became the symbol of Indian freedom struggle called Father of Nation.
- Gandhi was murdered on 30 January 1948. This day is observed as Martyr’s day every year.