Skip to content
Ten important points on Himalaya
- Himalaya constitutes of two words Hima means snow and Alaya’s means dwelling.
- The highest mountain in the world Mount Everest is situated in Himalaya range.
- The Himalayas has three ranges Greater Himalaya, Middle Himalaya and lesser Himalaya.
- The length of the Himalaya is 2400 km long.
- Many important rivers come out of the great mountain range like Indus, Ganga, Brahmaputra.
- Many countries are part of Himalaya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bhutan and China.
- Himalaya act as a barrier for Monsoon winds which led to rain is called orographic rain.
- The Himalayan range is the result of the motion of Tectonic Plates movement and it is an active range growing at the rate 20 mm per year.
- Mount Kailash is sacred for the Hindus.
- Global warming is a thread to the Himalayas which led to melting of glaciers.