1. Harela is one of the most important festivals of the Kumaon region.
2. Agriculture-based communities in the region consider it highly auspicious.
3. It is celebrated on the first day of Shravan known as Kark Sankranti.
4. This festival marks the onset of the Rainy-Season.
5. They pray for a good harvest and prosperity.
6. The word Harela means “Day of Green”.
7. It marks the beginning of the sowing cycle in the fields.
8. Delicious foods like puri, kachori, bada, and puwa are prepared.
9. Some other religious ceremonies are also undertaken on this day.
10. After the ceremonies, harela is placed behind the ears of each family member.