- Diwali is an important Hindu festival in India also known as Deepawali.
- Diwali is a festival of light.
- Hindu mythology says that when Lord Rama returned Ayodhya after 14 years exile people of Ayodhya welcomed him by lighting candles.
- The festival is a 5-day celebration that starts with Dhanteras.
- People worshipped the goddess Lakshmi for prosperity.
- People buy new clothes, sweets, candles, firecrackers etc.
- People decorate the house with candles and electric lights on this day.
- Diwali marks the beginning of the new year for the Hindu business community.
- On Dhanteras people do lots of shopping. It is an important day for the business community in India as it records high sales of goods.
- The last day of celebration in Bhaiya Dooj. Sister prays for the health and prosperity of her brother.