Skip to content
- Moths and butterflies lay their eggs as caterpillars.
- They feature many legs, a segmented thorax, and a cylindrical body.
- Caterpillars are herbivores.
- They consume fruits, leaves, and some have even been observed eating flowers.
- Caterpillars go through a metamorphosis process that causes them to change into their adult forms, which are moths or butterflies.
- Some caterpillars have vivid colours and patterns that serve to alert predators that they are poisonous.
- Caterpillars play a crucial role in pollination.
- They are an essential component of the food chain since they provide food for a variety of creatures, such as birds, insects, and mammals.
- Some caterpillars are known pests that harm plants and crops.
- It is known that some species of caterpillars migrate, or move from one location to another in search of food or a breeding area.