1. The hornbills are a family of bird found in Africa, Asia and Melanesia.
2. They have large-heads, thin necks, broad wings, and long tails.
3. The plumage is brown or black with bold white markings.
4. Their size varies from 40 cm to 160 cm.
5. Tribal peoples hunt the great Indian hornbill for its various parts.
6. Their casque and tail feathers are used as adornments.
7. They have a long, down-curved bill which is often brightly colored.
8. The beaks and head are used in charms.
9. They are omnivorous in nature.
10. Hornbill is also the state bird of Kerala.