1. Hariprasad Chaurasia was born on July 1, 1938 at Allahabad in a non-musical family.
2. His mother died when he was only six.
3. His father was a wrestler and wanted him to become one.
4. He struggled very hard to overcome all the hurdles that came in his way of learning music.
5. He started learning vocal music from his neighbour, Rajaram, at the age of 15.
6. He is a Hindustani classical music practitioner.
7. He is a world-renowned exponent of the bansuri or bamboo flute.
8. He was also awarded with Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan.
9. He is a rare combination of an innovator and a traditionalist.
10. The 2013 documentary film Bansuri Guru features his life and legacy.