Skip to content
- Gopabandhu Das was born in 1877 in Suando village, near Puri, Orissa.
- He was popularly known as “Utkalamani”.
- Utkalamani means “The Jewel of Utkal or Orissa”.
- Shri Prafulla Chandra Roy gave him the title “Utkalmani”.
- Das was a social worker, reformer, political activist, journalist and a poet.
- He actively participated in the freedom movement of
- He was a member of the Indian National Congress.
- He had four friends and five of them together were known as ‘PanchaSakha of Satyabadi’.
- He established an indigenous system of education, which is called Satya Badi System.
- His contribution towards education made him immortal as an educationist.