Skip to content
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj was a prominent hindu ruler in India.
- He was the founder of the Maratha Empire.
- He was born on 19 February 1630 in Shivneri- fort, Maharashtra.
4.He adopted the title ‘Chhatrapati’ on his own which generally means a protector.
- He was considered a master of guerrilla warfare.
- He was one of few rulers who practiced true religious tolerance.
- He had to struggle a lot with the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, during his reign.
- He ruled the Maratha Empire in India from 1674 to 1680.
- Shivaji died at the age of 50 in April 1680.
- He was one of the prominent historical figures and is considered a national hero in India.